Our Culture: “Just Make Sense”
In the true spirit of CrossFit, we have taken a step back from all norms, questioned them, and tried to come up with policies and directions that are in the best interest of everyone. While we might be doing many things a typical CrossFit establishment might do, we also feel there’s things a few things we can do to shake things up and build a culture unique to LAX CrossFit.
We will publish, openly and honestly our policies. We will not have side deals, make exceptions to the rules, do “bro” deals, or run a business where you cannot have faith in the the ownership.
Athletes Are Athletes
Whatever your role in life, from Pro Football player to house husband/wife, once you step into the LAX CrossFit box you are all athletes. Not one athlete, good or bad, should receive preferential attention from our staff. Any athlete can (and should) ask us for help on anything they feel they need assistance with. Our free time is fairly available to all.
Of The People
We strive to be a box “of the people”. No one’s voice should be too loud, nor too soft in our opinion. We will always listen to your opinions and concerns with open and unbiased ears and make every attempt to be a gym “of the people”. We also will make it possible to express these opinions in various formats (Town Hall meetings, private meetings, anonymous comments box, etc).
Know Thy Neighbors
Adopting a community favorite rule from our brothers and sisters at CrossFit SouthBay, we require our members to know each other by AT LEAST by a first name basis. If at any time we decide to quiz you and you do not know a member’s name, there’s a 20 burpee penalty to be paid.
So as a rule of thumb, when you see new faces in the box, stop what you’re doing and say hello!
Simple and Fair Pricing
Our Simple and Fair Pricing, in our opinion, just makes sense. We feel the entire fitness industry is doing their clientele a disservice with some of the policies they have on pricing and billing (kudos to anyone out there who doesn’t!).
We think these things pretty much just make sense. Anything else is less efficient and sacrifices form (no rep!), and that’s just not the CrossFit way.
- No Initiation Fees. Maybe back in the day when they had to dip quill to inkpot to write the membership contract and then hire a stagecoach to send that contract to HQ, that made sense. In today’s age, there’s no cost we incur in signing you up, why should we pass one on to you?
- No Contracts. We believe you will like our product. Why do we need to handcuff you into it? Pay for a membership you use and enjoy. If you don’t, while we’d like the chance to fix any issue you might have, you can quit at any time for any reason.
- No 30 Day Notice to Quit. If you tell us you’d like to quit before you get billed for the next cycle, then that’s fair, we think. No need to wrangle another month dues out of you.
- Freeze Your Account Anytime. Going on a long vacation across Europe? Have a bad month at the office coming up? Same as above, just let us know you’d like to freeze the next 30 days before you get billed, and we’ll freeze it. If you freeze for longer than 30 days, you will lose the rate you were at.
- No Penalties, Surcharges, etc. Unless you start doing things that make us incur a bunch of penalties, we’re not going to litter our contracts with fine print chock full of penalties and fees.
Being that Los Angeles is one of the most visited cities in the world (both for business and pleasure) and LAX (the airport named after our box) is one of the most trafficked airports on the planet, we decided to welcome all ye CrossFitting travelers with open arms.
Whether you are here in LA for work or for play, should you feel the desire to get your WOD on, you have a place you can lovingly call home. Here’s some specifics on our drop-in policy:
- Have minimum 1 month CrossFit experience
- No charge for the first two drop-ins per month, but a yelp review would be nice. $20 per drop-in after your first two freebies. If you’re here for an extended period and want to WOD with us a bunch, send us an email to work something out.
- Come a few minutes early to fill out a waiver, or download it, fill it out, and bring it with you.
- No open gym for drop-ins, you must do our scheduled programming.
- No sign-up required, just show up to our scheduled classes. Have a look at the schedule here.